Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Calling Invisible Women

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 37.

Calling Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray

Summary:
A wife and mom in her fifties, Clover has felt invisible in her life for awhile.  Then one morning she discovers she truly is invisible, and she is crushed when her family doesn't notice (only her best friend and her dog can tell she's invisible).  As Clover uses her invisibility to get to know her family better, she joins a group of women that are also invisible, and together they fight for the appreciation and recognition they deserve.

My Opinion:
I loved both the concept and the writing style of this book.  I planned to read a chapter or two before bed...those plans immediately changed when I started reading, and I completed this quick read in one sitting.
I knew I would relate to the feeling of invisibility, as any mom does at some point, but I was pleasantly surprised by how positive and empowering the book was. I admire the way Clover continued to care for her family, even when they completely let her down by not noticing she was invisible, and used her situation to help others.
I highly recommend this book, and I will definitely read other books by the author.  

Quote from the Book:
"She was invisible even before she knew she was invisible."

No comments:

Post a Comment