Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Book 22 of my 2014 Reading Challenge

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Summary (via Goodreads)
Charlie is a freshman.
And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular.  Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.
Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.  But he can't stay on the sideline forever.  Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective.  But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor. 

My Opinion
As I read this book I wondered...is it me, am I too old for YA?  I certainly hope not but I know I would've enjoyed reading this more if I had read it in high school.    
The choppiness of Charlie's sentences bothered me at first but as I settled into his rhythm, he turned out to be a very compelling narrator.  I read quickly and didn't predict the ending at all.   
My brain recognizes why others would love this book but my heart just wasn't in it, leaving me with an "it's not you it's me" neutral recommendation.

Quote from the Book
"I don't know how much longer I can keep going without a friend.  I used to be able to do it very easily, but that was before I knew what having a friend was like.  It's much easier not to know things sometimes."

No comments:

Post a Comment