Thursday, January 1, 2015

Sixth Grave on the Edge

Book 91 of my 2014 Reading Challenge

Sixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda Jones
Book 6 of the Charley Davidson series

Summary (via Goodreads)
Few things in life can come between a grim reaper and her coffee, but the sexy, sultry son of Satan is one of them. Now that Reyes Farrow has asked for her hand, Charley Davidson feels it's time to learn more about his past, but Reyes is reluctant to open up. When the official FBI file of his childhood abduction lands in her lap, Charley decides to go behind her mysterious beau’s back and conduct her own investigation. Because what could go wrong?
Unfortunately, another case has fallen into her lap—one with dangerous implications. Some very insistent men want Charley to hunt down a witness who is scheduled to testify against their boss, a major player in the local crime syndicate. If Charley doesn't come up with an address in 48 hours, the people closest to her will start to disappear. 
Add to that a desperate man in search of the soul he lost in a card game, a dogged mother determined to find the ghost of her son, and a beautiful, young Deaf boy haunted by his new ability to see the departed as clearly as he sees the living, and Charley has her hands full. The fact that Reyes has caught on to her latest venture only adds fuel to the inferno that he is. Good thing for Charley she's used to multi-tasking and always up for a challenge…especially when that challenge comes in the form of Reyes Farrow.

My Opinion
I'm still enjoying this series. Great dialogue and good amounts of humor (I especially like the little funnies from bumper stickers, t-shirt sayings, or status updates that start each chapter). I also love the little snippets of people's lives Charley gets as they cross through her - it's amazing how a life can be condensed to just a few sentences and still be so touching.

There was more sex than I remembered in previous books. It didn't bother me but will probably affect who I recommend the series to in the future.

The things relative to the series and not a particular book, like the prophecies and The Twelve and who needs to die, are going a little over my head at the moment but I'm still enjoying the ride and am sure it will all become clearer as the events unfold. The good thing about being clueless is I can't predict what will happen!

A Few Quotes from the Book
"I watched Captain Eckert in my rearview for a while. And as entertaining as that was, I needed to go see a good guy about a bad guy and figure out why Sleazy Car Guy thought I could help him find his ex, the woman who allegedly saw him commit murder. Sucked when that happened. Lunch would have to wait."

"I could only hope the ransackers got syphilis. I wondered if there was a hashtag for that."


No comments:

Post a Comment