Wednesday, May 6, 2015

A Study in Scarlet

Book 12 of my 2015 Reading Challenge
read from Jan. 30 - Feb. 5

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

Summary (via Goodreads)
In the debut of literature's most famous sleuth, a dead man is discovered in a bloodstained room in Brixton. The only clues are a wedding ring, a gold watch, a pocket edition of Boccaccio's Decameron, and a word scrawled in blood on the wall. With this investigation begins the partnership of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Their search for the murderer uncovers a story of love and revenge-and heralds a franchise of detective mysteries starring the formidable Holmes. 

My Opinion
As a mystery lover it was necessary that I read this, the first to feature Sherlock Holmes. Considering how long ago this book was written, it holds up surprisingly well as far as his methods of deduction go. Perception, intuition, and close listening never go out of style.

I was a little confused when Part II started because it felt like I was reading a completely different book than Part I. Then I settled in again and was fine for the rest of the book. 

I would read more of his books. 

Quote from the Book
"The most commonplace crime is often the most mysterious because it presents no new or special features from which deductions may be drawn."

No comments:

Post a Comment