Thursday, June 25, 2015

Undead and Unwary

Book 19 of my 2015 Reading Challenge
read from March 6 - 10

Undead and Unwary by MaryJanice Davidson
Book 13 of the Undead series

Summary (via the book jacket)
First: kill Satan. Second: reorganize Hell. Sounded simple enough back then, but for Betsy Taylor, managing "down below" isn't as easy as she'd hoped - even if she is doing it with her sister, Laura, a bona-fide Antichrist. So yes, Betsy has been shirking her hellish responsibilities, but she's been just so darn busy these days. And she's not just yanking Laura's chain. There's a brand-new baby drama involving a pair of uncanny (okay, terrifying) toddler twins, an upcoming birthday party that has to be planned, and, are you ready for it? Betsy's dad - once so very dead - has been spotted in downtown St. Paul.
It's enough to send Betsy fleeing to Hell, if only for some quiet time with Laura. But while there, in addition to meeting old acquaintances, Betsy discovers that death can be just as complicated as life.
Now, despite all the chaos, Betsy's friends rally around, helping her to handle all this fire and brimstone jazz. As for Betsy's sister and dad - they have their own surprises in store for the vampire queen. And jolt by jolt, Betsy will discover that there's nothing as heartwarming as family. Yeah, like Hell.

My Opinion
What's up with this series????  I actually checked to make sure I hadn't missed a book because this was so foreign to me.  It's like it was rushed and trying too hard.  Not only has the series gone completely off-course but there were some silly editing mistakes too; at least 3 times something was talked about and then repeated as if brand new information a few pages later.

I've been very disappointed in the last few books of the series.  I hope she gets back to the fun of the beginning very soon.  Please don't make this a "Stephanie Plum, dragging it on and on until nobody likes it any more" kind of thing! 

A Few Quotes from the Book
"So my husband could be scampering in the snow almost anywhere...which meant that I was on my own when it came to solving the mystery of Jessica's weirdness. Well, on my own besides the cop, the zombie, and the other vampire I lived with."

"I think in a lot of ways that's the worst thing about being a vampire: I am doing things I know are disgusting and/or wrong and can't stop. Or won't stop."

"She was right. It wasn't fair. I was old enough to know that fair wasn't a guarantee, and young enough to want to keep trying anyway."

"That's how you know that people who love you, I think. When they know helping you is a terrible idea, and they want to do it anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment