Monday, August 17, 2015

Conspiracy in Death

Book 24 of my 2015 Reading Challenge
read from March 10 - 29

Conspiracy in Death by J.D. Robb
Book 8 of the In Death series

Summary (via Goodreads)
At a time when human nature remains as predictable as death, a killer plays God--and puts innocent lives in the palm of his hand...
With the precision of a surgeon, a serial killer preys on the most vulnerable souls of the world's city streets. The first victim: a sidewalk sleeper, found dead in New York City. No bruises, no signs of struggle. Just a laser-perfect, fist-sized hole where his heart had once been. Lieutenant Eve Dallas is assigned to investigate. But in the heat of a cat-and-mouse game with the killer, Dallas's job is suddenly on the line. Now her hands are tied ... between a struggle for justice--and a fight for her career...

My Opinion
Maybe it was the nature of the cases in this book but this one wasn't very interesting to me.  It took me much longer than usual to read because I kept putting it down for other things.

I don't have anything positive or negative to say about it and I'm ready to move on with the series.

A Few Quotes from the Book
"We who hold power cannot be distracted by the condemnations of the ordinary, by the petty and pitiful laws of simple men. They are blind, their minds are closed with fear - fear of pain, fear of death. They are too limited to comprehend that death can be conquered.
 I have nearly done so.
 If my work was discovered, they, with their foolish laws and attitudes, would damn me.
 When my work is complete, they will worship me."

"And as always, children went hungry, women sold their bodies, and men killed for a handful of credits.
 However enlightened the times, human nature remained as predictable as death."

" "Sacrifice the few to save the many?" Eve shook her head slowly. "It's a stand that's been taken before. It always crumbles."
  "Yes." There was something of pity and something of fear in Mira's quiet eyes. "But never soon enough." "

"She'd learned to accept that not everything could be changed, not everything could be fixed."

"Look at history. Those in power have habitually found nasty uses for those without it. And often, all too often, they claim it's for the greater good. You could have a group of highly skilled, educated, intelligent people who've decided they know what's best for humanity. Nothing, in my opinion, is more dangerous."

No comments:

Post a Comment