Monday, March 13, 2017

Ash & Bramble

Book 18 of my 2017 Reading Challenge
read from February 28 - March 13

Ash & Bramble by Sarah Prineas
Book 1 of the Ash & Bramble series

Summary (via Goodreads)
A prince.
A ball.
A glass slipper left behind at the stroke of midnight.
The tale is told and retold, twisted and tweaked, snipped and stretched, as it leads to happily ever after.
But it is not the true Story.
A dark fortress.
A past forgotten.
A life of servitude.
No one has ever broken free of the Godmother's terrible stone prison until a girl named Pin attempts a breathless, daring escape. But she discovers that what seems to be freedom is a prison of another kind, one that entangles her in a story that leads to a prince, a kiss, and a clock striking midnight. To unravel herself from this new life, Pin must choose between a prince and another - the one who helped her before and would give his life for her. Torn, the only thing for her to do is trade in the glass slipper for a sword and find her own destiny.

My Opinion
My 14-year-old daughter read this and liked it.  Both she and I plan to read the next book in the series.

I thought it was fine but I don't have much to say about it.  

A Few Quotes from the Book
"I know nothing about the Before. I don't know my name or where I came from, but I do know that I am a person who asks questions and risks pushing against the boundaries of obedience."

"They will not take Marya's body down. It will hang there, this lesson.
  But here is the irony: the lesson I am learning is not at all what they intend. Their lesson has made me even more determined to escape."

"That was part of Story's power, wasn't it? People always wanted to find out what happens next."

No comments:

Post a Comment