Thursday, March 15, 2018

Smile

Book 11 of my 2018 Reading Challenge

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Summary (via Goodreads)
Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader. But one night after Girl Scouts she trips and falls, severely injuring her two front teeth. What follows is a long and frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached. And on top of all that, there's still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion, and friends who turn out to be not so friendly. 

My Opinion
This graphic novel is a true story and she went through a lot at that tough age where nobody wants to stand out, especially for something medical.  It sucks that one trip and fall impacted her for years.  The graphic novel format added a lot to the story and my girls enjoyed reading it too.

Although my story isn't as dramatic as hers, it reminded me of my own experience with false teeth.  My baby teeth didn't have enamel on them so when they came in without that protection I experienced a lot of pain and they had to be pulled out.  I had false teeth and it was fine until first grade when everybody else was losing teeth and obviously I was keeping my full set.  My dentist actually removed of my front false teeth so I had a gap-toothed smile just like my classmates and I still remember that act of kindness.  And my adult teeth had enamel so I've had no lasting effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment