Sunday, September 1, 2019

I Know How You Feel

Book 34 of my 2019 Reading Challenge
read from April 20 - May 7

I Know How You Feel: The Joy and Heartbreak of Friendship in Women's Lives
by F. Diane Barth

Summary (via Goodreads)
published 2018

“Do I have enough friends?” “Why did my friendship end?” and “What makes a good friendship work?"
These are questions that F. Diane Barth, a psychotherapist widely recognized for her expertise in women’s relationships, fields all the time. In I Know How You Feel, she draws out engaging stories from a lively and diverse cast of women, many of whom speak about feelings they haven't shared before. She explores how life changes affect women's friendships in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. Interweaving examples from classic women’s literature to chick flicks, she provides grounded advice on how to manage betrayal and rejection, how to deal with a narcissistic or bossy friend, what to do when your best friend and your family don’t get along, how to let go of a friendship that has stopped working, and much more. A timely, empathetic guide for women in their twenties to their sixties and beyond.

My Opinion
2 stars

I was recovering from surgery as I read this so that could be why it wasn't really connecting with me but I didn't understand what kind of book this was trying to be.  It was presented like a scientific book but the stats were basic and anecdotes aren't research so it didn't really fit in there, yet it wasn't really anecdotal enough to be an experience-based "look at how others live" kind of book either.

I don't know...this review sounds harsher than I feel but I'm not sure exactly how else to say that it was fine I'm not sure what the point of the book was.

Quote from the Book
"[Sharing small, insignificant details about our lives] is the wisdom of women's friendships in a nutshell: when we pay attention to the details, of one another's lives, everything gets simpler, deeper, and richer."

No comments:

Post a Comment