Tuesday, May 9, 2023

The Library Book

Book 44 of my 2023 Reading Challenge
read from May 2 - 9

The Library Book
by Susan Orlean

My Opinion
4 stars

Normally I would include a summary of the book with my review but I didn't bother this time because what I thought the book would be about based on the description turned out not to be the main focus, in my opinion.

This book celebrates libraries, particularly the public library system in Los Angeles.  I loved reading about the history, especially the staff and patrons that helped shape the library into what it is today.  But as far as the fire, which I thought was the point of the book based on the summary, that journey fizzled like a dud firework for me.  If I had read the entire book solely for that case it would've been a huge disappointment to get to end and find out there was zero resolution or even a consensus on whether or not the fire was intentional.

It was gut-wrenching to hear all the irreplaceable items lost in the library fire but I'm amazed and pleasantly surprised at how much they were able to save and restore.

Quote from the Book
"It wasn't that time stopped in the library. It was as if it were captured here, collected here, and in all libraries - and not only my time, my life, but all human time as well."

No comments:

Post a Comment