Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Nobody Cares

 Book 82 of my 2023 Reading Challenge
read from August 26 - 30

Nobody Cares
by Anne T. Donahue

Summary (via the book jacket)
As she shares her hard-won insights from screwing up, growing up, and trying to find her own path, Anne T. Donahue offers all the honesty, laughs, and reassurance of a late-night phone call with your best friend. Whether she's giving a signature pep talk, railing against summer, or describing her own mental health struggles, Anne reminds us that failure is normal, saying no to things is liberating, and that we're all a bunch of beautiful disasters - and she wouldn't have it any other way.

My Opinion
2 stars

It always feels weird rating and reviewing books of a personal nature.  For me, it's not a reflection of the author or her choices but the writing itself.  I can't say the material is completely irrelevant but judgement of her life is not why I didn't connect with this book.

I felt like she jumped in with little context or backstory and some pretty heavy topics or monumental life events were tossed out in one or two sentences on the way to something else (having to repeat the twelfth grade, for example).  Towards the end of the book she mentioned her newsletter so this disconnect could be partly mine - I had no familiarity with the author beforehand.  But I also probably won't seek out the newsletter based on the book.

I'm glad she's been able to reflect on some of the self-destruction and I hope she's happy and fulfilled now in whatever path she chooses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment