Friday, September 15, 2023

The Comet Seekers

 Book 87 of my 2023 Reading Challenge
read from September 9 - 15

The Comet Seekers
by Helen Sedgwick

Summary (via the book jacket)
When Roisin and Francois meet at a remote research base on the frozen ice sheets of Antarctica, they are immediately drawn to each other. At first glance, the pair could not be more different. Older by a few years, Roisin, a daughter of Ireland and a peripatetic astronomer, joins the science team to observe the fracturing of a comet overhead. Francois, the base's chef, has just left his birthplace in Bayeux, France, for only the second time in his life. Yet the two are connected by devastating tragedy, the longing for a fresh start, and an indelible yet unknown bond that stretches back centuries.

My Opinion
2 stars

Severine's storyline is pretty much the whole reason I remained invested in the book, along with a mild curiosity about how it would all tie together.

Now for the only thing I'll remember about the book...it caused me to yell, "WHY ARE YOU HAVING SEX WITH YOUR COUSIN?!?!" many times.

I'm not going to name the characters but this next part could be a little spoiler-ish.

The two cousins having an on-off intimate and sexual relationship over the span of many years was so distracting.  I understand one of them needed to have a "first love" situation to continue to the plot but why a cousin?  This wasn't a time period or setting where it wasn't taboo...they knew it was wrong and hid it, even talking about moving away to somewhere where they wouldn't be known as cousins so they could be more open.  It happened over so many years and it brought me to a full stop every time their storyline popped up again. I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment