Monday, October 16, 2023

In Bloom

 Book 99 of my 2023 Reading Challenge
read on October 16

In Bloom
by Paul Tremblay

My Opinion
2 stars

This short story is part of the Creature Feature collection available through Prime Reading.

Not for me.  The bulk of the story was a monologue disguised as an interview (with absolutely no interruptions or follow-up questions) that was more 'tell' than 'show', leaving me with no emotions even at the climax of the story.  Then unnecessary things were left unanswered (why does it matter if he lives alone or not and why mention it at all if it's not answered or relevant?). 

Maybe the meaning went completely over my head but to me it felt like the beginning chapter of a longer story so I got all the backstory intros and description of settings but not the actual point.

As I write this it seems like I felt more negatively than I originally thought but it's not a 1 star review because I'm not angry, I'm just confused.  

No comments:

Post a Comment