Saturday, December 9, 2023

The Other Half

 Book 112 of my 2023 Reading Challenge
read from November 6 - December 9

The Other Half: The Life of Jacob Riis and the World of Immigrant America
by Tom Buk-Swienty

My Opinion
3 stars

I wavered between 2 and 3 stars on this one but decided to round up because the amount of time that passed between starting and finishing it could be part of why I felt disconnected from the material.

Jacob Riis accomplished a lot in his life and it's amazing that a) one person could have such an impact and b) that impact could've been completely lost after the people who personally knew him were gone if someone hadn't recognized the importance of preserving his photographs.

It makes me sad that some of his "novel" ideas would still be considered outlandish at this time.  People deserve respect and a support structure to meet basic needs.

On a unrelated note, I found a piece of stationary from the Hotel Grand Chancellor in Christchurch, New Zealand in the book with a handwritten note that said, "Winston Estes, author Part of the House".  My research shows this hotel was demolished after an earthquake in 2010 so this note has been hanging out in this book for quite some time!  I bought it in 2023 at a Planned Parenthood book sale in Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment