Saturday, March 30, 2013

Dog On It

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 27.

Dog On It by Spencer Quinn

Summary:
The first book in the mystery series featuring the partnership of Bernie, a private investigator, and Chet, his dog.  The interesting twist is that Chet is the narrator of the book.  The mystery in this book centers on a missing teenage girl and their efforts to find her.

My opinion:
What an original concept to have the dog as the narrator.  Chet isn't an unusually bright dog either; he just describes what is happening around him even though he doesn't quite understand its significance.  He gets distracted easily and has a tendency to nap during long conversations, which prolongs the mystery and keeps the reader from solving it too quickly (if Chet doesn't see or hear it, the reader doesn't know it).
Quick, light read.  I enjoyed it enough to add the series to my never-ending "to-read" list (time will tell if the novelty wears off in future books), but not enough to bump it to the front of the line.

Quote from the Book:
"Stakeouts:  I've sat through a million.  Okay, possibly not a million.  Truth is I'm not too sure about a million, what it means, exactly - or any other number, for that matter - but I get the drift from Bernie" ~ Chet the dog

No comments:

Post a Comment