Monday, April 15, 2013

Mentally Incontinent

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 31.

Mentally Incontinent (that time I burned down a Hooters, that time my stalker crashed on my couch, and nine other stories from my weird life) by Joe Peacock

Summary:
Joe Peacock has many strange life stories, and he began posting those stories on the website he founded, MentallyIncontinent.com.  Labelled a biography (although it's presented with a wink at the seemingly blurred line between reality and embellishment), visitors to his website voted on their favorite stories and the winners are the stories in this book.

My opinion:
I didn't know anything about Joe or the website when I saw this at the library, but I enjoy short stories and that was enough for this random reader to give it a try.  He's an engaging, interesting writer.  Most of the stories were about stupid things he's done, and I liked them in the "wow, I'm glad I don't have to deal with him in real life" kind of way.  But the last story ("The Walmart Story") made me cringe - it involved humiliation of others on a grand scale and I'm too softhearted to find the humor in that.

Overall, it was a quick, mostly enjoyable read, but I'm not going to run to his website and read everything he's ever written.

My favorite story:
"The Hospital is No Place to Spend Your Birthday"

No comments:

Post a Comment