Sunday, September 1, 2013

Bad Habits

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 58.

Bad Habits: Confessions of a Recovering Catholic by Jenny McCarthy

Summary:
Jenny McCarthy wrote this book about being raised in a very religious household and the journey she took to discover her own personal faith (with a few other topics thrown in as well).

My Opinion:
She makes some valid points when questioning the faith but the presentation is just too over the top, fair or not, to resonate with a large audience.  I wasn't offended by this book, I just didn't like it.
You have to be familiar with the Catholic Church to understand the rituals and lessons she references but most practicing Catholics wouldn't like her tone.  There are plenty of lapsed Catholics but I think it would be a tough sell for them as well...the story of when she visited the Vatican is outlandishly disrespectful.  For her karma's sake, I hope it's not true, although she strikes me as a very honest person (and who would make something like that up?)  It's too serious for people that like her funny books and too funny for people that liked her serious books.
Although she writes in a very readable tone and parts of this book were interesting, it's too uneven for me to recommend (and based on the reasons above, I'm not sure what audience I would recommend it to anyway).

Quote from the Book:
"But the problem was I was being held accountable for all my negative actions.  I wanted a place that held me accountable for my positive ones too," (describing why she looked beyond the Catholic Church for her spirituality)

No comments:

Post a Comment