Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Generation Game

Book 2 of my 2014 Reading Challenge.

I would like to thank NetGalley and Legend Press for the opportunity to read and honestly review this book.

The Generation Game by Sophie Duffy

Summary (via NetGalley)
Philippa Smith is in her forties and has a beautiful newborn baby girl.  She also has no husband, and nowhere to turn.  So she turns to the only place she knows: the beginning.
Retracing her life, she confronts the daily obstacles that shaped her very existence.  From the tragic events of her childhood abandonment, to the astonishing accomplishments of those close to her, Philippa learns of the sacrifices others chose to make, and the outcome of buried secrets.
Philippa discovers a celebration of life, love, and the Golden era of television.  A reflection of everyday people, in not so everyday situations.

My Opinion
This book is written in first person, narrated by Philippa, and she is very matter-of-fact.  At first I thought she was detached, which made me sad when reading her flashbacks because it showed a world weariness no young child should have; she had already faced adult issues (death, abandonment, etc.) and accepted them as life.  But as I read further and realized this is a British novel, I wonder if Philippa just had the stereotypical "stiff upper lip".  Either way, there was a lack of emotion that made it seem as if she was telling a story instead of remembering her life.
As I mentioned, this is a British book.  There were two references that came up frequently that I had to look up because I had never heard of them before. The first was the Cavalier; it wasn't an essential part of the story but Philippa mentions it in passing in almost every chapter.  The second was The Generation Game; it's the title of the book and a major theme, and I had no idea it was a real show.  It wasn't a big deal to look them up and I would recommend doing so before reading the book if you aren't familiar with them either.
Overall, the book held my interest but didn't affect me one way or the other.  I didn't expect the ending and thought it was a nice (if unrealistic) resolution.

Quote of the Blog
*Since I read an ARC of this book, I can't quote directly from it as I normally would.  Instead, I've found another quote that seems fitting.
"Life is the name of the game." ~ Bruce Forsyth

No comments:

Post a Comment