Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Girls

Book 3 of my 2014 Reading Challenge.


The Girls by Lori Lansens


Summary (excerpted from the book jacket)
The Girls celebrates life's fundamental joys and trials as it presents Rose and Ruby, sisters destined to live inseparably but blessed with distinct sensibilities that enrich and complicate their shared experiences - of growing up, of finding their way in the world, of saying goodbye.  


My Opinion
I enjoyed parts of this book very much but it was too uneven for me to say I completely loved it.  I think it was because I liked Ruby's voice more than Rose's so the middle section of the book where there was a lot of alternating between the two was easier for me to read than the beginning and end when it was mostly Rose writing. 
It's always interesting to see how different people remember the same event and this book took that point a step further because Rose and Ruby could not be any closer (literally) and they still had completely different personalities and emotional reactions.
One tiny loose thread...unless I missed it, we never found out why Nick had been in jail.  It didn't matter to the story but I expected the girls to eventually learn why since they had mentioned their curiosity a few times.

Quote from the Book
"I love my sister as I love myself.  I hate her that way too."








No comments:

Post a Comment