Sunday, February 23, 2014

Coreyography

Book 9 of my 2014 Reading Challenge


Coreyography by Corey Feldman



Summary


A memoir of Corey Feldman, an actor best known for his roles as a child in many 1980's movies (Gremlins, The Goonies, Stand By Me, and The Lost Boys, to name a few) and for being half of the heartthrob duo "The Two Coreys" (along with Corey Haim).

My Opinion


I know I've said this before - I love reading biographies and memoirs but have a very difficult time reviewing them.  I can critique the writing style, flow, etc. but I will never pass judgement on someone else's life experiences.
It helps that I've seen all the movies and recognized most of the names he mentions, even if I'm just a smidge too young to have experienced "Coreymania" first hand (barely...my late 80s/early 90s Tiger Beats still had "The Two Coreys" in them, just not as the focal cover stories they had been a few years earlier).  
He is a great storyteller, even as the stories are pretty self-serving.  I think it's natural for anyone recounting their life to spin a little - everyone wants to be the hero of their life.  I believe he believes everything he said and sometimes perception is more interesting than cold facts.  I might not feel so generous if I was someone he had written about - he does not hold back on people he feels wronged him and he downplays the wrongs he did to others.
A quick read that would have the most interest for children of the '80s and maybe the '90s as well.

Quote from the Book

"Funny thing about being an addict: when you finally get sober, when you feel clean and strong and something that seems awfully close to normal, you immediately begin contemplating the idea of partying again.  Because you're fine now, right?  You just needed to get all that craziness out of your system.  Now you can party responsibly.  It's the disease talking, but he sounds a lot like yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment