Monday, July 28, 2014

Allegiant

Book 42 of my 2014 Reading Challenge

Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Book 3 of the Divergent series

Summary (via the book jacket)
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered - fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal.  So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready.  Perhaps beyond the fence, she and
Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind.  Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless.  Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves.  And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature - and of herself - while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.


My Opinion

For me it felt like the first 90% of the book was talking and planning for the action crammed into the last 10% (and at the end of the day, nothing they planned had much of an impact on what happened so why spend hundreds of pages talking about it?).  By the time the epilogue came around, I had a headache and little interest in how everything resolved.
I would probably still recommend the series as a whole because of its unique premise and characters but this was my least favorite book of the 3 I've read so far.


Quote from the Book

"The night air slips into my lungs, and I feel like it is one of my last breaths.  Tomorrow I will leave this place and seek another." (I liked this quote, the first lines of chapter 9, even more when I read the last line of the same chapter, "The night air slips into my lungs, and I feel like it is one of my first breaths.")



No comments:

Post a Comment