Sunday, January 1, 2017

Sima's Undergarments for Women

Book 95 of my 2016 Reading Challenge
read from December 28 - 30

Sima's Undergarments for Women by Ilana Stanger-Ross

Summary (via Goodreads)
In the basement of her Brooklyn apartment, Sima Goldner welcomes women of all shapes and sizes with warmth, acceptance - and a bra that gives them the support and lift they need. But Sima, regretfully childless at sixty, and harboring a secret that has embittered her marriage, can't seem to do the same for herself. Then Timna, a young Israeli with enviable cleavage, arrives in search of a demi-cup and stays on to become the shop's seamstress. As they laugh, gossip, and sell lingerie, Sima finds herself awakening to hope and the possibility of happiness in this beguiling story of New York's underground sisterhood, and one woman's second chance.

My Opinion
I learned a new word and I love it! "Sabra: the tough cactus hide, the juice of the fruit: prickly on the outside but sweet on the inside".  It was used to describe a person with a tough exterior but nice once you got to know them. 

This was perfect for reading as I was traveling.  There was a part in the middle that made me super uncomfortable because I thought Sima was going to make an irreversible mistake but she didn't call and it turned out okay.

A Few Quotes from the Book
"A secret lingerie shop, hidden underground - Sima, this place is the stuff of legends."

"But to have no one to share it with, no one beside me who I could turn to and point and say, 'Look.'...It's hard, that silence. It made it all less real somehow, because there was no one there to understand."

No comments:

Post a Comment