Thursday, March 28, 2019

The Divorce Papers

Book 28 of my 2019 Reading Challenge
read from March 9 - 14

The Divorce Papers
by Susan Rieger

Summary (via the book jacket)
published 2014

Sophie Diehl is happily toiling away at an old-line New England law firm when Mayflower descendent Mia Meiklejohn Durkheim strides through the door. While dining at the most chic eatery in town, Mia was handed a most unwanted substitute for the wine list: divorce papers. Sophie reluctantly steps away from her criminal law casework to conduct Mia's intake interview and, to her dismay, Mia insists she take the case - Sophie is just who she needs to take on her soon-to-be ex and his thuggish lawyers. For Sophie, the whole affair sparks a hard look at the relationships in her own life with parents, friends, and lovers. 
Smart, affecting, and funny to the bone, The Divorce Papers is a compelling story of the lengths we'll go to for that thing called love.

My Opinion
4 stars

It was a very unique format (it's all done through various forms of correspondence such as e-mails, letters, court filings, etc.) that I wasn't sure would work and I was very happy that it did.  The pages passed very quickly and I was able to keep the different voices separate.

It was a light, fun read that didn't get too "hijinky" (how I refer to stories that throw in shenanigans that don't make sense strictly to create drama) - I'm glad they didn't go too far with the Fiona plot line.

I loved the line, "I'm always afraid I'll leave something out. My mother says I start with the kitchen sink." from someone who was describing her lengthy explanations.

No comments:

Post a Comment