Friday, March 1, 2019

The Testing

Book 15 of my 2019 Reading Challenge
read from February 2 - 8

The Testing
by Joelle Charbonneau
Book 1 of The Testing series

Summary (via the book jacket)
published 2013

The Seven Stages War left much of the planet a charred wasteland. The future belongs to the next generation's chosen few, who must rebuild it. But to enter this elite group, candidates must first pass The Testing - their one chance at a college education and a rewarding career.
Cia Vale is honored to be chosen as a Testing candidate, eager to prove her worthiness as a University student and future leader of the United Commonwealth. But on the eve of her departure, her father's advice hints at a darker side to her upcoming studies: Trust no one.
Surely, though, she can trust Tomas, her handsome childhood friend who offers an alliance. Tomas, who seems to care more about her with the passing of every grueling (and deadly) day of The Testing. To survive, Cia must choose: love without truth or life without trust.

My Opinion
4 stars

The history part of the testing was a clever way to get the backstory.  The 6 days it took to read this doesn't reflect how quickly the pages turned when I actually got to sit down and read; this definitely could've been finished in 1-2 sittings if I'd had time.

I was frustrated in the beginning with Cia because it looked like she was turning into the lovesick character that trusts so easily and falls for a guy who lets his hair fall in his face and isn't like the others, ugh.  Things did settle down and even though it wouldn't be a YA dystopian novel without a little time for kissing as they fight for their lives, Cia did use her brain and followed her gut instincts as well.

I look forward to continuing the series. 

A Few Quotes from the Book
"It's time to go home and tell my family that tomorrow I will leave the house in the morning and I won't return."

"After everything I've seen and done, I'm forced to admit I don't know exactly who I am. But I know I need to find out fast because this final interview requires that I show them. And that test has just begun."

No comments:

Post a Comment