Tuesday, December 31, 2019

The Future is Female!

Book 73 of my 2019 Reading Challenge
read from October 15 - November 15

The Future is Female! 25 Classic Science Fiction Stories by Women

Summary
published 2018
*Note: this collection was published in 2018 but the stories themselves were written between the 1920s and 1960s*

A collection of science fiction stories, all written by women between the 1920s and 1960s.

My Opinion
4 stars

I came across this book in the library catalog while doing a keyword search for something else and I'm glad it caught my eye and I read it.  All the stories were written by women which was interesting but what interested me more were seeing the imagination of the times (the stories were written between the 1920s and 1960s).  The social commentary was insightful (such as a story using rainbow-colored aliens to talk about racism) and it was also fun seeing storylines that I'm sure were new at the time but are now the plot of every disaster movie (one person sacrificing themselves for the greater good).

I wrote a few notes about each story but they're pretty repetitive (how many times can I say "good read"?) so I'm not going to bother typing them out.  There were only one or two stories that I didn't like and the rest were good.  The ones I starred as really enjoying were The Black God's Kiss, In Hiding, Contagion, All the Colors of the Rainbow, The Tunnel Ahead, and Baby, You Were Great.  

No comments:

Post a Comment