Tuesday, June 9, 2020

55 Slightly Sinister Stories

Book 36 of my 2020 Reading Challenge
read from May 4 - 8

Note: I read an ARC provided by NetGalley (full disclaimer in my review)

55 Slightly Sinister Stories
by Racha Mourtada

Summary (excerpted from Goodreads)
published 2020

55 stories. 55 words. No more. No less. Enjoy this collection of flash fiction with a sinister twist.

My Opinion
4 stars

**I received an electronic copy of this book via NetGalley and would like to thank the author and/or publisher for the opportunity to read and honestly review this book**

The author's note at the beginning said this book came about from a New Year's resolution to write one 55 word story a day until May 5 (5/5).  She also recommends reading two or three stories a day and while I did force myself not to read them all in one sitting, I definitely exceeded that recommendation.

This was just a little treat.  I really like microfiction as a concept and have read a few books of six-word memoirs.  The sinister twists show you don't need a long buildup to still get a little shiver at the end and the illustrations were a nice touch.  I read multiple ones aloud to my family as well.

I saw there is an audio version and I know I'm biased since I don't use audiobooks at all but this is the kind of book, between the illustrations and sometimes needing to read it more than once to see what you missed, that I think is better suited for print.  

No comments:

Post a Comment