Monday, November 23, 2020

Ghosts of Polk County

 Book 57 of my 2020 Reading Challenge
read from August 24 - September 3

Ghosts of Polk County, Iowa
by Tom Welch

Summary (via the book jacket)
published 1988

For most of recorded history, in all parts of the world, there have been accounts of ghosts. Even the skeptics among us would have to admit that in their more reflective moments, they find the possibility of supernatural visitors intriguing. Perhaps that is why we are so interested in them. They are a universal phenomenon. As such, they help us to examine the human condition and better understand our own lives.
I offer my ghost stories as both legends of Polk County and as chronicles of the frightening, heartwarming, and humorous wanderings of the unquiet dead. I have tried most of all to learn the details of their earthly lives and what motivated them to come back from the "other world" after supposedly being laid to rest. The events that lead up to these apparitions are, many times, dramatic tales in themselves.

My Opinion
3 stars

When the derecho knocked out our power and I saw I had this book from the library, I knew it was the perfect time to read it.  

The following description will sound negative but it's not; I'm not stating these qualities as a bad thing, just as something to note so the reader knows what they're getting.  It's a "local interest" book, published in 1988 with typewritten font and occasional typos that indicates either self or small publishing.  The stories themselves are not gory or overly scary.  It reminds me of campfire stories for a family...I could see my kids' grandparents telling them these.  So I think the local libraries should continue to carry it and I think fellow Iowans could get a little kick out of it but I'm not recommending it wholeheartedly to everyone. 

So as I mentioned, this book is definitely for a niche audience.  I live in Polk County, Iowa so the familiarity of the locations made this a light, fun read.  It's also good to note that not all ghosts have to be mean or have bad intentions (such as Ben Knowles making sure his repair shop continues to run smoothly) or even human (such as Alfie the pig winning the blue ribbon).

I read a few aloud to my family and they asked for more so this may end up as a "re-read" down the line for me if I read the whole book to them.

My Favorite Story
"Bobby's Skates"

No comments:

Post a Comment