Thursday, November 26, 2020

Unspeakable Acts

 Book 62 of my 2020 Reading Challenge
read from September 13 - 23

Unspeakable Acts: True Tales of Crime, Murder, Deceit and Obsession
by Sarah Weinman

Summary (via the book jacket)
published 2020

Sarah Weinmann, acclaimed author of The Real Lolita, brings together an exemplary collection of recent true-crime tales by over a dozen of the most refreshing and exciting journalists and chroniclers of crime working today. Michelle Dean's "Dee Dee Wanted Her Daughter to be Sick, Gypsy Wanted Her Mom Murdered" went viral when it was first published and is the basis for the television show The Act, while Pamela Colloff's "The Reckoning" is the gold standard for investigative crime journalism. 
With an introduction by Patrick Radden Keefe, this collection showcases true-crime writing across the broadest possible spectrum and reflects on why crime stories are so transfixing and irresistible to the modern reader.

My Opinion
3 stars

This is a collection of true crime stories written by different authors.  They also had all been previously published which may have bothered me if I'd purchased the book but since I checked it out from the library, it didn't.  

As with any book with multiple authors, I liked some writing styles more than others.  There were cases I hadn't heard of and I also learned new things about the cases I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment