Thursday, June 8, 2023

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Book 51 of my 2023 Reading Challenge
read from May 28 - June 8

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
by Gail Honeyman 

Summary (via the book jacket)
Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she's thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life, where weekends mostly consist of frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy. But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling IT guy from her office, whose big heart will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.

My Opinion
4 stars

I can't say too much because having Eleanor reveal herself over time throughout the book is part of the surprise and enjoyment of reading it.  I will say that I was worried it would be too "cringey" or she would be humiliated but luckily that wasn't the case.  It's told from her POV and she's not trying to fit in; she thinks she's ok and it's everyone around her that lacks social grace.  

You may think you can predict what's going to happen based on the description but this isn't a rom-com makeover situation.  Eleanor was funny and it was nice to see her put herself out there.  If I think about her as a real person, I hope she finds happiness and success.

No comments:

Post a Comment