Sunday, May 25, 2014

Killing Jesus

Book 25 of my 2014 Reading Challenge.

Killing Jesus: A History by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard

Summary
By the authors of Killing Lincoln and Killing Kennedy, this book details the life and death of Jesus of Nazareth.

My Opinion

First, the response I've given everyone that was surprised that I loved Killing Lincoln, look forward to reading Killing Kennedy, and just finished Killing Jesus...while I believe Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard wrote the book together (O'Reilly's personality seems too strong to allow others to speak for him), you wouldn't know he was the co-author based on the writing itself.

If you read this book solely because you're an O'Reilly fan and have no interest in the subject, you'll be disappointed...there are no politics, opinions, or modern day comparisons.  If you're interested in the subject but avoid this book because you're not an O'Reilly fan, you'll be disappointed...the material is well-researched and presented in an engaging way.

I learned new things but the parts that interested me the most weren't specifically about Jesus but about the methods of "justice" used at the time.  The ways Romans tortured their enemies were horrendous and reading about the crucifixion process was gut-wrenching. 

Personally, religion is my least-read subject (fiction or non-fiction, I just don't have much of an interest) but I would definitely recommend this book to those with an interest in Jesus and the times he lived in.
  
Quote from the Book
"Jesus will never write a book, compose a song, or put paint on canvas.  But two thousand years from now, after his message has spread to billions of people, more books will be written about his life, more songs sung in his honor, and more works of art created in his name than for any other man in the history of the world."



No comments:

Post a Comment