Sunday, June 1, 2014

That Night

Book 27 of my 2014 Reading Challenge

I received an ARC from the author/publisher and would like to thank them for the opportunity to read and honestly review this book.  The expected publication date is June 17, 2014.

That Night by Chevy Stevens

Summary (via the book jacket)
Eighteen-year-old Toni and her boyfriend, Ryan, were wrongly convicted for the murder of her younger sister.  Seventeen years later she returns home, ready to move on with her life, but she can't.  Ryan is convinced he can uncover the truth; her mother still doesn't believe Toni's innocent; and the former high school girls who made Toni's life miserable may have darker secrets than anyone can imagine.  Before Toni can move forward, she must take a terrifying step back to her past to find out the truth and clear her name, before it's too late.

My Opinion
Why oh why did I think it would be a good idea to start a book by Chevy Stevens at 10 p.m.?  I couldn't put it down and stayed up until 3:15 devouring the entire thing.
Nobody writes tension like Chevy Stevens and my favorite thing about her writing is her ability to seamlessly alternate between past and present as she constantly moves the story forward to the big reveal.  
This book didn't reach the level of love I have for Still Missing because I saw the "twist" coming pretty early on but reading is about the journey, not the destination, and I enjoyed the ride from beginning to end.
Mystery readers should take note of this author.

Quote from the Book


**Note: I read an uncorrected proof of this book and the following quote may have been altered in the final copy.

"Death isn't the hard part, living is."





No comments:

Post a Comment