Thursday, April 30, 2015

Marriage: Illustrated With Crappy Pictures

Book 10 of my 2015 Reading Challenge
read on Feb. 1

Marriage: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures by Amber Dusick

Summary (via the book jacket)
Marriage: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures provides much-needed laughs about coping with another person's hygiene habits, cleaning rituals (including their ritual of not cleaning), financial decisions, cooking quirks, and everything else that makes your spouse weird and annoying special and perfect in every way.

My Opinion
The section titled Credit the Source, or Are you Listening? was absolutely spot on for me. She talks about a conversation she has with her husband (enhanced with illustrations) where she says, "Maybe if you set an alarm on your phone you'll remember to take the trash bins to the curb on Thursdays" and he responds, "Yeah, or I could remove the bins so I can see them..." They talk for a little longer and then he says, "I just thought of something! I could set an alarm on my phone!"  Arrggghhh, I've felt that frustration, where something you said is presented back to you as if it's brand new information, many times!!!  She gives a few more conversations as examples and it was by far my favorite part of the book.

**Edit** I'm adding that when I told my husband about this review and how much I related to the previous paragraph, he tried to tell me it's flattering when he does it because my ideas are so great he wants to take them as his own.  Ummm.....no. But nice try. I then showed him the book and he spent some time flipping through it - he enjoyed it as well. 

All in all, this read wasn't a bad way to spend a little time. 

A Few Quotes from the Book
"Cleaning doesn't make anything look clean. It just makes the rest of my house look dirty."

"We take turns doing the bedtime routine with the kids, but Crappy Husband [she stresses her husband isn't crappy, she calls him that because her illustrations of him are crappy] isn't very good at it. The person he can get to sleep is himself."

No comments:

Post a Comment