Saturday, June 5, 2021

Forget Me Not

 Book 33 of my 2021 Reading Challenge

Forget Me Not
by Alix Garin

Summary (via Goodreads)
published 2021

When Clémence, a student and actress struggling with personal issues, sees how miserable her grandmother is in her nursing home, she decides to break her out and take her on a road trip to the coast so she can see her childhood home one last time. But traveling with a senior with Alzheimer’s Disease comes with a fair amount of challenges, and the journey is fraught with highs, lows, and near misses. Still, it’s a chance for the two women to reconnect, with each other and with themselves, and it’s a chance for Clémence to give Grammy the gift of one last thrilling and joyful experience.

First Impressions/Judging a Book by Its Cover
I picked this book while browsing on NetGalley (full disclaimer below).  The combination of memoir and graphic novel is something I'll pick up almost every time.  The illustrations accompanying a personal story, especially when the illustrator is also the author, adds a level to the storytelling.  Although the description of this book sounds interesting, the actual plot isn't what draws me into a memoir/biography.  I just want to witness people's lives.

When downloading an electronic copy, I'm not always sure if the illustrations will come through completely so hopefully I can get the full experience.

My Opinion
3 stars

**I received an electronic copy of this book via NetGalley and would like to thank the author and/or publisher for the opportunity to read and honestly review it**

I read this graphic novel in one sitting.  It's not really something I can review because it's more about the emotions and experience reading it.

As noted above, sometimes illustrations can be tricky on an electronic copy so I was a little concerned before starting.  Happily, this was not an issue in this book which made all the difference in reading it.  I especially liked the various illustrations focusing on their hands throughout the story; it was vulnerable and close and showed an attention to detail and imperfections (like picking her nails when stressed).

The plot itself was a little outlandish but taking one last adventure with a grandparent is something most of us can relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment