Thursday, July 15, 2021

Screenshot

 Book 41 of my 2021 Reading Challenge

Screenshot by Donna Cooner

Summary (via the book jacket)
published 2018

Skye's social media game is always on point. Until her best friend, Asha, posts an embarrassing video of Skye at a sleepover. But Asha deletes the post, so everything's okay. Right?
Then someone texts Skye a screenshot from the video. This person threatens to share the shocking photo everywhere...unless Skye does whatever they say. Suddenly, Skye's perfect image - and privacy - are in jeopardy. What will Skye do to keep the screenshot under wraps? And who is trying to ruin her life?

First Impressions/Judging a Book by Its Cover
I'm reading this book at the recommendation of my daughter.  She's 15 now but she read it a few years ago and when we came across it while cleaning our bookshelves, she pulled it and said I should read it.

The cover is a grid of Instagram-esque photos.  Looking at the description, I'm not sure of the age range so I don't know how "embarrassing" the post will be but this could definitely be a starting point for conversations about social media.

My Opinion
4 stars

First off, that was horrifying for Asha to a) record a video without Skye's knowledge and b) post it.  That's a bitchy thing to do and I do not miss the dynamics of teen girl "friendship" at all.  

As mentioned above, I was concerned that what was posted would be really high-stakes which would take enjoyment away from me.  That is not the case...it's a big deal (especially without consent) but what she was doing in the video was not illegal or life-changing.  

I can see why my teen daughter liked it and it held my interest too.  I read the book in one sitting and it was a good length - it wasn't entirely predictable as she worked through who was blackmailing her (the anonymity added a layer since it cast doubt on everyone) but it also didn't drag on too long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment