Monday, January 2, 2023

Working Girls

 Book 1 of my 2023 Reading Challenge
read from January 1 - 2

Working Girls: Trixie and Katya's Guide to Professional Womanhood
by Trixie Mattel and Katya Zamolodchikova

Summary (via Goodreads)
In Working Girls, Trixie and Katya dole out both savvy and satirical advice for every stage of working life, from choosing a career path to sailing into a blissful retirement, in step-by-step guides, quizzes, the world's most bizarre aptitude test, and more. Searching for the perfect interview outfit? Agonizing over how to get that raise? Suspicious that your colleague doesn't really hope their email "finds you well"? Trixie and Katya have got you covered. They also share personal stories from their own remarkable careers and their philosophies on everything from mastering office lingo to getting fired with dignity, all alongside hilarious, gorgeous photos.

My Opinion
4 stars

I'm not going to spend much time on a review because this isn't a book for the casual browser.  If you love Trixie and Katya you already know what you're going to get and for those fans I will say it's really good but I enjoyed their first book more.  If you don't know who Trixie and Katya are this book is not for you - they do not explain themselves or their humor at all.

The pictures are stunning.  I especially love the one of Katya in the maid uniform at the beginning of the book.

I laughed out loud at "Noted - I hate you but I have to listen to you or at least make you feel like I listened to you." from the "Office Lingo" chapter because of a story with my dad.  Many years ago my brother was playing tennis in high school and since the court was in a park it was a good opportunity for all of us to watch - our young kids played on the playground nearby and we could watch both them and tennis.  The mom of a tennis player from the other team came over and told us our kids needed to be quieter and just kept going on and on until my dad looked at her, said "Noted" and walked away.  It became shorthand for when we acknowledge you said something but have no need to retain it or converse further, which is apparently what it means in the office as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment