Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Florida Roadkill

 Book 14 of my 2023 Reading Challenge
read from 1/22 - 2/7

Florida Roadkill
by Tim Dorsey
Book 1 of the Serge Storms series

Summary (via the book jacket)
Sunshine State trivia buff Serge A. Storms loves eliminating jerks and pests. His drug-addled partner Coleman loves cartoons. Hot stripper Sharon Rhodes loves cocaine, especially when purchased with rich dead men's money.
On the other hand, there's Sean and David, who love fishing and are kind to animals - and who are about to cross paths with a suitcase filled with $5 million in stolen insurance money. Serge wants the suitcase. Sharon wants the suitcase. Coleman wants more drugs...and the suitcase. In the meantime, there's murder by gun, Space Shuttle, Barbie doll, and Levi's 501s.

My Opinion
2 stars

What.The.Fuck.Did.I.Just.Read?  It's like someone wrote a Mad Libs version of a crime book yet it was well-written in the midst of the chaos.  I feel like I somehow know less about the book after I've read it.

While browsing at the library I saw this series on the shelf and decided to get the first one because a) the first book was available to check out and b) there were a lot of books in the series so it can entertain me for awhile if I enjoy it.  I thought it was a random pick but when I went to Goodreads to log I was reading it, I saw it was already on my 'to-read' list and had been since 2018.  I'm not sure what drew my attention at that time but I'm glad I can knock another book off the list.

This book was frantically insane.  I didn't like it yet it was so original and I laughed at a few descriptions, such as someone being "the only self-inflicted case of shaken-baby syndrome" or the anti-hygiene motorcycle gang.  Plus the methods of death were unusual yet somehow plausible.

Am I a glutton for punishment if I read another one in the series after this one gave me a headache?  I'm so curious how this is a series (and so long a series) when so many people died in this first book.  So I haven't decided yet...right now I just need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment