Tuesday, January 30, 2024

The Light We Lost

 Book 11 of my 2024 Reading Challenge
read from January 21 - 30

The Light We Lost
by Jill Santopolo

My Opinion
3 stars

In the Beginning:
After about 20 pages I will say this book is light and easy to get sucked into.  Having it written in her voice talking to him as she recounts past memories makes it feel intimate and emotional.

Checking In (about 20% through):
Uh oh, I just felt a little pinprick in my heart after reading a certain line and I feel the smallest inkling of where this is going.

Checking In (about halfway through):
This book keeps speeding along, it's only been 2 loads of laundry since I wrote the previous update (that's a common measurement of time, right?).  The narrator stays in the present of the time she's looking back on so there isn't much foreshadowing and I enjoy it.  I still have that little pit in my stomach, not just for the concern I had earlier but also about the comparisons she's making.  I hope she continues to make good choices.

Checking In (about 60% through):
haha, this is embarrassing.  I thought something major was going to happen because the chapters switched from Roman numerals to 1 but as I flipped through to see if the pattern continued I realized it actually was an l (the next chapter is li) so there's no change.

I'm a little frustrated about the continued fluctuating.  I understand about past loves and how they affect your present but mentally upending things every time there's a conversation, especially when those conversations are very very rare, isn't really fair to anyone.

Checking In (about 85% through):
Oh no.  I hate the direction this has gone, especially the unconfirmed justification.

Up until this point I thought one of the good things was that she didn't add extra drama by lying and I don't like the path she's taking now.

The End:
Fuuuuuck.  Nah man, that was too much in a short amount of time and the ending-not an ending left too much unanswered.  I really really want to know what she told her husband.

Final Overall Thoughts:
I didn't love the choices but understood the characters until that one big thing and then it was too far gone.  And my prediction from that one line early on turned out to be correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment