Sunday, February 10, 2013

It Looked Different on the Model

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 15.

It Looked Different on the Model by Laurie Notaro
Summary:  Humorous stories about her marriage and life.

I feel like I should have liked this book more than I actually did.  I've liked almost every other author I've read in this genre (sassy female writing memoirish tales about behaving badly; I enjoy reading about them because I don't have to deal with them in real life, and it is the exact opposite of how I would react in similar situations), but I didn't find this book enjoyable.  That is difficult to write because these are her real life experiences and I don't want to say, "Your life? Yeah...just didn't work for me".  I also take some responsibility because I may be burned out on this genre based on how many I've already read this year.  Also, I read this book quickly and I might not have grown so tired if I had read one or two chapters at a time, similar to the way I would read a blog.

She doesn't stand out in the crowded field of humorous life essays for me but as always, I will probably try another book of hers (read in shorter chunks over a longer period of time) before writing her off completely.  However, I wouldn't recommend this particular book.

Quote of the Blog:
"It's not you, it's me." ~ too many people to ever cite correctly

No comments:

Post a Comment