Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Maine

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 14.

Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan
Summary:  This book is told in alternating viewpoints of 4 women in the Kelleher family as they spend the summer at their family cabin in Maine.  

I didn't like this book but I can't figure out why exactly.  The book was a very realistic portrayal of a dysfunctional family, but at some point in these type of stories the characters either have to make an unrealistic change to keep the story going, or they must be so compelling that you become invested in them even though it hurts your heart to do so.  This book did neither.  Even though I wanted to bang my head against the wall at the way the women were treating each other and I wanted to finish it and see what happened, I just wasn't in any hurry to pick it up after I put it down.  I chose cleaning out my linen closet, sorting socks, and testing the pens in my junk drawer over reading, explaining how it took a week for me to complete this book.  

Although I personally didn't enjoy this book, I wouldn't go so far as to say "not recommended".  And I think enough of the author's writing style that I will try another book of hers.

Quote of the Blog:
"The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice". ~ Peggy O'Mara

No comments:

Post a Comment