Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Her Fearful Symmetry

My goal is to read 100 books by the end of 2013.  I just finished book 54.

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Summary (via the book jacket):
Julia and Valentina Poole are American twenty-year-olds whose attachment to one another is intense.  Their aunt, Elspeth Noblin, has died of cancer and left them her London apartment under two conditions: that they live in it for a year before they sell it and that their parents not enter it.  Julia and Valentina are twins.  So were the estranged Elspeth and Edie, their mother.  The girls move to Elspeth's flat, which borders Highgate Cemetery.  As the girls become embroiled in the fraying lives of their aunt's neighbors, they also discover that much is still alive in Highgate, including - perhaps - their aunt.

My Opinion:
I was trucking right along with this book, not exactly loving it but definitely intrigued by the supernatural aspects, the characters, and the underlying creepiness of the twins.  Then about 75% of the way through, a plan emerged and my reaction was "what? come on!"  Then it just kept getting stranger and stranger and something that I saw coming but hoped wasn't coming happened.  Then it got even stranger.  Then it was done.
It was...interesting.  A middle of the road read; I wouldn't discourage someone from reading it if I saw it in their hands but I wouldn't make a huge effort to find it either.

Quote from the Book:
"She's going to break my heart and I'm going to let her."

No comments:

Post a Comment