Saturday, June 28, 2014

Let Me Off at the Top!

Book 34 of my 2014 Reading Challenge

Let Me Off at the Top! My Classy Life and Other Musings by Ron Burgundy

Summary (via the book jacket)
My name is Ron Burgundy and what you have in your hands is a very big deal.
It's my life.
It's my words.
It's my gift to you.

My Opinion
First, I feel like I have to mention that Ron Burgundy is a fictional character from the Anchorman movies.  If you didn't already know that, you're not in the target audience for this book.  Myself, I'm not a superfan of the movies (I don't think I've even seen the second one) but I know who Ron Burgundy is and thought this would be an amusing read.
Unfortunately, I was wrong and I didn't enjoy it at all.
There were two main reasons I didn't like it.  One, a blowhard character is tolerable as part of an ensemble but quickly becomes tiresome when reading a book devoted entirely to him.  Second, it was offensive.  Not like the "old school ignorance" characters can get away with for satire or comic relief, but straight up offensive, chapter after chapter (Mexicans...Canadians...the 'r' word...women...specific celebrities...and that's just what I remember off the top of my head).
Not recommended.
    
Quote from the Book 
"I've been so busy being Ron Burgundy the legend that I never stopped to really get to know Ron Burgundy the man."




No comments:

Post a Comment