Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Seventh Grave and No Body

Book 61 of my 2015 Reading Challenge
read from September 7 - 9

Seventh Grave and No Body by Darynda Jones
Book 7 in the Charley Davidson series

Summary (via Goodreads)
Twelve. Twelve of the deadliest beasts ever forged in the fires of hell have escaped onto our plane, and they want nothing more than to rip out the jugular of Charley Davidson and serve her lifeless, mangled body to Satan for dinner. So there’s that. But Charley has more on her plate than a mob of testy hellhounds. For one thing, her father has disappeared, and the more she retraces his last steps, the more she learns he was conducting an investigation of his own, one that has Charley questioning everything she’s ever known about him. Add to that an ex-BFF who is haunting her night and day, a rash of suicides that has authorities baffled, and a drop-dead sexy fiancĂ© who has attracted the attentions of a local celebrity, and Charley is not having the best week of her life.
A tad north of hell, a hop, skip, and a jump past the realm of eternity, is a little place called Earth, and Charley Davidson, grim reaper extraordinaire, is determined to do everything in her power to protect it.
We’re doomed.
 

My Opinion
This felt like a placeholder book - interesting but no development in the overall storyline.

It's getting a little old but was still enjoyable with some chuckles and HOT sex scenes.

A Few Quotes from the Book
"Because that's what Charley did. Brought killers to justice. She also found lost dogs, exposed cheating spouses, and tracked down the occasional skip. And she rarely referred to herself in the third person.
 I had a few other specialties as well. Mostly because I'd been born the grim reaper. I could see dead people, for one, a fact that helped me solve many a case. Odd how easy it was to solve cases when one could ask the victim whodunit."

"Sometimes the emotions wafting off others were so powerful, so...well, suffocating, I had to block them, a trick I'd learned in high school. Up until that point, school could be utter agony. Sure, I knew things others didn't, but I also knew things I didn't want to know. No one could "talk behind my back". I always knew the truth about how they felt about me. It kept my friendships to a minimum...
  One thing I'd learned growing up: People were never, ever, ever 100 percent honest about their feelings.
  Never."

""You're a god, and yet you want to help. Gods don't help, Dutch [Charley]. Gods have to know when to aid their people and when to step back and let them learn from their mistakes."
  "So my stint on Earth is supposed to help me become a better god?"
  "Yes. Because no being can live in a perfect world. Life is destined to fight to survive. To thrive. To prosper. To have more than the have-nots. All life destroys in order to live. You can't fix everything, but you would try."
  "Are you saying I'd be a horrible god?"
  "I'm saying you are a horrible god. You risk the wrong things for the wrong causes. You strive for perfection instead of taking pleasure in the inperfect.""

No comments:

Post a Comment