Saturday, December 19, 2015

The Last Four Days of Paddy Buckley

Book 70 of my 2015 Reading Challenge
read from September 28 - October 4

The Last Four Days of Paddy Buckley by Jeremy Massey

Summary 

My Opinion
I like the author's writing style but the plot just kept getting more and more outrageous.  I have a low tolerance for overly 'hijinky' books and movies, where everything that could possibly go wrong does and not just goes wrong but completely goes wrong in the most unlikely, inconceivable ways possible.  My personal preferences.

I pictured him as much older for some reason (maybe my preconceived notions of who fits a 'grieving widower' description, especially one working in a funeral home) and was surprised to find out toward the end of the story that he was only 40.  Maybe if I had figured that out earlier it would've helped because once I knew, it made the countdown of his last days sadder because he had many more years left in him than I thought originally.

A Few Quotes from the Book
"I walked back into the night, overcome by a tremendous wave of tiredness, which sent me back in the direction of the funeral home. I needed to sit down and rest. It had been a strange day.
  But it turned out I was only in the ha'penny place. The night was going to get a lot stranger."

"I knew that death was very close. I'd spent my life around it. The likelihood of escaping Cullen's clutches were slim, I knew that, and deep in my heart I feared that the price on my head would be paid in full and that very soon Paddy Buckley would be nothing more than an engraved name on a breastplate and a blemished memory."


No comments:

Post a Comment