Friday, July 8, 2016

Fangirl

Book 14 of my 2016 Reading Challenge
read from January 26 - 29

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Summary (via Goodreads)
CATH IS A SIMON SNOW FAN. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan... But for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.
Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fanfiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere. 
Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to. 
Now that they're going to college, Wren has told Cath that she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend; a fiction-writing professor who thinks fanfiction is the end of the civilized world; a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words...and she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone
For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?


My Opinion
The author has a distinct writing style that's enjoyable and so easy to get swept up in.  The dialogue is funny but in a realistic, not trying too hard to be funny kind of way.

The introvert in me can really empathize with Cath.  Starting college is always tough but adding in the anxiety of sharing a dorm room and never truly having a place you can retreat to massively increases the stress of the adjustment.

I knew exactly what she meant by this quote about her dad: "A little manic was okay. A little manic paid the bills and got him up in the morning, made him magic when he needed it most."  I go through highs and lows myself and have often said the reason I don't want to get on meds to balance it out is because it's worth it for me to suffer through the lows in order to keep the insane amount of productivity I have during the euphoric highs.

A Few Quotes from the Book
"Walking to class, Cath couldn't shake the feeling that she was pretending to be a college student in a coming-of-age movie. The setting was perfect - rolling green lawns, brick buildings, kids everywhere with backpacks. Cath shifted her bag uncomfortably on her back. Look at me - I'm a stock photo of a college student."

" "I feel sorry for you, and I'm going to be your friend."
  "I don't want to be your friend," Cath said as sternly as she could. "I like that we're not friends."
  "Me, too," Reagan said. "I'm sorry you ruined it by being so pathetic." "

" "Dad?"
  "Hey, Cath."
  "Dad. Why haven't you called me? I left you a million messages."
  "You left me too many messages. You shouldn't be calling me or even thinking about me. You're in college now. Move on."
  "It's just school, Dad. It's not like we have irreconcilable differences."
  "Honey, I've watched a lot of 90210. The parents weren't even on the show once Brandon and Brenda went to college. This is your time - you're supposed to be going to frat parties and getting back together with Dylan."
   "Why does everyone want me to go to frat parties?"
   "Who wants you to go to frat parties? I was just kidding. Don't hang out with frat guys, Cath, they're terrible. All they do is get drunk and watch 90210."


No comments:

Post a Comment