Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Go Ask Alice

Book 17 of my 2016 Reading Challenge
read from February 01 - 05

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Summary (via Goodreads)
A teen plunges into a downward spiral of addiction in this classic cautionary tale.
January 24th
After you've had it, there isn't even life without drugs....
 

It started when she was served a soft drink laced with LSD in a dangerous party game. Within months, she was hooked, trapped in a downward spiral that took her from her comfortable home and loving family to the mean streets of an unforgiving city. It was a journey that would rob her of her innocence, her youth -- and ultimately her life.
Read her diary.
Enter her world.
You will never forget her.
 

For thirty-five years, the acclaimed, bestselling first-person account of a teenage girl's harrowing decent into the nightmarish world of drugs has left an indelible mark on generations of teen readers. As powerful -- and as timely -- today as ever, Go Ask Alice remains the definitive book on the horrors of addiction.


My Opinion
I'd like to research more about how this book came to be.  Parts of it were realistic and parts of it read like adults trying to guess what kids sound like.

Gutpunch ending.

A Few Quotes from the Book
"Sometimes I think we're all trying to be shadows of each other, trying to buy the same records and everything even if we don't like them. Kids are like robots, off an assembly line, and I don't want to be a robot!"

"...and her mother nags a lot but then I guess all mothers do. If they didn't I'd hate to see what homes and yards and even the world would look like."

"I couldn't tell what was real and what was unreal. Was I the table or the book or the music, or was I part of all of them, but it didn't really matter, for whatever I was, I was wonderful. For the first time that I could remember in my whole life, I was completely uninhibited."

"Adolescents have a very rocky insecure time. Grown-ups treat them like children and yet expect them to act like adults. They give them orders like little animals, then expect them to react like mature, and always rational, self-assured persons of legal stature. It is a difficult, lost, vacillating time."


No comments:

Post a Comment