Sunday, September 13, 2020

Any Man

 Book 50 of my 2020 Reading Challenge
read from July 8 - 25

Any Man
by Amber Tamblyn

Summary (via the book jacket)
published 2018

A violent serial rapist, who goes by the name Maude, is on the loose. She hunts for men at bars and online - he place doesn't matter, neither does the man. Her victims then must grapple with the aftermath of their assault - doubts from the police, feelings of shame and alienation from their friends and family, and the haunting of a horrible woman who becomes the phantom on which society projects its greatest fears, fascinations, and even misogyny. All the while, the police are without leads, and the media hounds the victims, publicly dissecting the details of their attack.

As the years pass, these men learn to heal by banding together and finding a space to raise their voices. Told in alternating viewpoints, signature to each voice and experience of the victim, these pages crackle with emotion ranging from horror to breathtaking empathy. 

My Opinion
4 stars

Each of the characters were so separate and vivid, I knew who was speaking immediately even with the different viewpoints and formats.

I don't usually remember my dreams but I had a dream about this book while I was reading it so it must've stayed on my mind.  It wasn't a scary dream, it was about the legalities of reporting.

While the subject added to my interest, I really liked the author's writing style and would read anything else she wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment