Monday, June 20, 2022

Paperbacks From Hell

 Book 6 of my 2022 Reading Challenge

Paperbacks From Hell: The Twisted History of '70s and '80s Horror Fiction
by Grady Hendrix

4 stars

As the title states, the author explores the genres, authors, illustrators, publishers, etc. of the thriller paperbacks of the '70s and '80s.

I saw this book on a bookclub Facebook page and the author recognition and subject matter interested me.  I received it for Christmas and was excited to start it quickly.

It's a niche book celebrating an odd time and genre.  I've actually read a few of these and if I was a little older I definitely would've read more.  

When the first few pages talk about Gestapochauns (Nazi leprechauns) you know right away if this will be a book for you or not.  If it is for you, this book will be even more than expected.  I love books that celebrate books, especially when it's not taken too seriously.

The book isn't shock value alone, there is information as well.  It's divided into categories and while I don't have a standout favorite, "Creepy Kids" is probably what I've consistently read the most.

This is a good book to read physically because there are a lot of things to look at.  I hadn't thought about the changes in cover art until the author talked about it; now that publishers want to appeal broadly instead of capturing a specific audience, cover art has become a dying art.  Nobody would pick up these paperbacks accidentally without an idea of what it's about, and they will grab the eye of the people that would enjoy them.  Depending on your guests, this would make a good coffee table book because it's easy to flip through and find something that would make you stop and look.

No comments:

Post a Comment