Sunday, June 5, 2022

The One You Want to Marry

 Book 5 of my 2022 Reading Challenge

The One You Want to Marry (and Other Identities I've Had)
by Sophie Santos

4 stars


Published in 2021, The One You Want to Marry is a memoir by Sophie Santos.  Moving often because of her father's military career, she learned to "try on" different personalities, accentuating different qualities of herself to fit into wherever she was at the time.  It wasn't until her twenties that she took the time to identify her true self, leading her to look back at her childhood and wonder how it took so long to figure out what was right in front of her the whole time (with her sexuality, mostly).

The author is a stand-up comic and while I haven't seen her material, it shows in the conversational way she frames a story. I started the book with the intention of reading a few pages to get the gist of it and ended up blowing through 4 chapters without even realizing it.  The pages definitely fly by.

She really put it all out there.  I'm not sure if her stand-up is similarly forthright but I'm going to look her up to see.  I'll be curious if her voice and mannerisms match what I was envisioning as I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment