Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Dead Again

Book 21 of my 2019 Reading Challenge
read from February 21 - 23

Dead Again
by Kevin Grover

Summary (via Goodreads)
published 2019

“In a week I'll be murdered. I need to figure out who kills me before they do it again. I know they'll try. If I was that person, I would.”
Neve’s last week before she dies is far from dull. There’s someone stalking her, doing their best to make her life hell. Her husband suspects she’s cheating on him, so she has to cover her tracks. Perhaps that’s what gets her killed?
Or is the threat from Jenny who’s convinced there’s something alien in the woods? Is she hiding a darker secret? Of course, the obvious suspect is Neve’s secret lover, but he wouldn’t harm her. Would he? What about the stories of aliens in the woods? Could they be responsible for bringing her back to life?
A dark story of a woman returning from the dead a year later to solve her own murder brings a number of exciting twists. Can anyone be trusted in this tale of murder, betrayal and secrets? Is the woman who returned really Neve and what’s her link to a murdered woman twenty years ago?
Neve must find her killer before she’s….
Dead Again.
 

My Opinion
4 stars

*I received an electronic copy of this book via NetGalley and would like to thank the author and/or publisher for the opportunity to read and honestly review it*

I had a dream about being murdered after reading it before bed so I would say it stuck in my mind.  Halfway through it was still ramping up and adding more stuff instead of resolving anything and I was wondering if the author would be able to wrap everything up.  She did and I ended up rating it 4 stars because I couldn't stop reading it even though it wasn't really that great; it was more out of confusion and wanting to see how everything would come together.

There were a few groan-worthy lines, such as when she rang the buzzer at her lover's apartment and then thought, "In a few moments, I realize he'll be ringing my buzzer."  There were also a few little typos that I feel like I should point out since I read it on NetGalley but I don't really hold against the author since I never know how much control they have over the formatting.

This review ended up being more negative than I actually feel about the book, probably because I didn't stop to make notes of anything I enjoyed (usually the case with mysteries since I want to avoid spoilers) and instead only noted things that took me out of the story.  This book may not have fired on all cylinders for me but it was a quick read and I would read this author again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment