Saturday, August 22, 2020

Home

 Book 45 of my 2020 Reading Challenge
read from May 29 - June 23

Home: A Memoir of My Early Years
by Julie Andrews

Summary (via the book jacket)
published 2008

Julie Andrews takes her readers on a warm, moving, and often humorous journey from a difficult upbringing in war-torn Britain to the brink of international stardom in America.

My Opinion
3 stars

Note:  This book should be read before her other memoir, "Home Work."  I actually received "Home Work" (which begins with "Mary Poppins") first but decided to wait until I was able to read "Home" (which begins with her birth and ends when she books "Mary Poppins").  I'm very glad I did so and I'm also glad I will be reading them fairly close together because it seems like they run right into each other.

There were lots of pictures which is something I always enjoy and make sure to mention when reviewing memoirs/biographies.

I rated it 3 stars because it was what I expected and not much more.  It was fluffy and enjoyable while I was reading it.  Although she mentioned very traumatic events, they were glossed over as if everything worked out in the end.  Part of it could be the stereotypical British "stiff upper lip" or part of it could be her personality/reputation to find the sunny side but no matter the reason, it kept things pretty surface-level.  That's not necessarily a bad thing but just something to note.

No comments:

Post a Comment